The results of preliminary OM research include subjective feelings of safety, connection and mystical experiences.
Improved Mood and Cognition
- Test happier post OM
- Measure increased HRV (indicator of health) post OM
- Test increased cognitive function post OM
- Test more focused
- Report reduced stress
- Report reduced anxiety
- Report a feeling of safety
- Report more emotionally connected
- Report improved feelings of connection with partner
- Brain’s EEG electrical activity showed synchronization between partners
- Reports of increase in positive affect
- People who reported early childhood sexual trauma were comparably more aroused than people who did not, contrary to most scientific literature
Changes in the Brain
1. Those who OM regularly have different metabolic patterns compared to those who have not practiced OM.
Specifically, the OM group had different metabolism in the cerebellum, frontal lobe, limbic region, dopamine areas, social areas and brain stem. The implication is that over time, the OM practice alters the brain’s functions permanently.
2. Neuroimaging study of OM shows brain patterns similar to a psychedelic therapy experience in the brain.
There certainly are changes in OM that have similarities with the effects of psychedelic experiences such as changes in frontal and parietal lobe activity, along with changes in limbic function.
3. Neuroimaging study of OM shows brain patterns similar to a spiritual experience in the brain.
Areas of the brain involved with a sense of connectedness/oneness, intense emotions, and feelings of flow/surrender are affected in people who OM and similarly those in spiritual experiences.
4. Both cortex and limbic areas of the brain are changed in OM.
There are a number of brain changes that occur in OM and these are likely associated with the spiritual elements of the practice.
5. Males and females show different brain changes in OM.
There are distinct patterns of activity in male and female brains most likely associated with the different roles each play during the practice. There are also some common changes that are found when both males and females are grouped together.
6. Females showed significant “at one” like patterns in the brain.
This means the female feel at one with the universe, their partner and themselves.
7. Males showed significant “flow state” like patterns in the brain.
This means the males show a state that is generally associated with the feeling of being in flow – alert while having let go.
OM Produces Mystical Experiences
- 62% of OM practitioners report a mystical experience with the Johns Hopkins MEQ test
- OM session shows similar MEQ results to a therapeutic dose of psilocybin (mushrooms)
- Johns Hopkins research has shown 60% of people who have mystical experiences from therapeutic psilocybin session recover from depression symptoms
- Therapeutic psychedelic sessions, increase MEQ measures and show efficacy in managing depression, addiction, anxiety, and resolving post trauma (PTSD)
- OM shows to have similar results to the second highest dose of psilocybin (mushrooms)
Therapeutic Benefit of OM Safety Container
- The OM practice 15min safety “container” is similar to a 4-5hour psychedelic therapy session container employed in current FDA clinical trial studies for depression, addiction, anxiety, and resolving post trauma (PTSD)
- Practices like Yoga, Sitting Meditation, Breathing Meditation, Talk Therapies, Massage, and other therapies employ a safety container similar to the OM 15min safety container, which needs substantially less time
- Experimental evidence indicates OM provides a similar safety experience to psychedelic therapies that are in FDA trials and those are shown better than mindfulness, psychotherapy, meditation, or antidepressants in treating depression and other mental health issues